Monday, November 19, 2012

An Oral History of Putting The Goddamn Empty Ice Cube Tray Back In The Freezer


           There are some habits that are menial. You can go through life without even knowing they exist. There are some habits that are of the greatest consequence. You go through days avoiding relapsing into the groove of past actions, of a regularity that you wish to avoid. Then there are the habits in the middle. This is a story of those middle-habits.

Nick: 
The act of putting an empty ice cube tray back in the freezer is more than simple laziness – it is a defiant act of chaos. It is Nolan’s Joker personified by a domestic act, an intentional act of kitchen terrorism. It requires someone to not only have the laziness to not fill up the ice cube tray after use, but to then exert effort into putting the tray back, thus taking up space in addition to giving false hope and the appearance of readily available ice.

Josh:
As someone who moved into 79 a year after DH, Gene and Robby, my big ideas about house living often fall on deaf ears. I generally don't care very much about many things, but sometimes I want some ice cubes in my drink.

Nick:
I am a big dude who sweats, drinks, and works out a lot. It creates the perfect storm for water consumption, and I like that shit cold. Not having ice in the freezer elicits the kind of anger in me that is rarely seen outside of a youth hockey game.

Josh:
I am a minimalist in almost all aspects of food preparation, from food prep time to dishes used. I make exceptions for ice cube trays. That shit takes time to freeze. Rome wasn't built in a day. It baffles me that someone could have so much hate in their heart that they wouldn't refill the ice cube tray for the next overheated person looking for a refreshing beverage. The betrayal of putting the empty tray back in the freezer is of Benedict Arnold proportions and must never happen again.

Nick:
It is simply an inexplicable occurrence. I even bought extra trays to ensure that I'd always have ice on deck, but this was met with immediate (not to mention suspicious) anger, the problem being freezer-crowding. In retrospect, this would probably only exacerbate the issue, but at least now we can play moose with the extra trays.

Josh:
The first time that I encountered this man-made disaster, my reaction was a mixture of distress and anger. I assumed that my housemates would feel a similar desire to find the culprit and make sure something like this never happened again. Alas, I was scoffed at and the ice cube tray troll strikes occasionally.

Nick:
Luckily, now me and Josh have each other. And no one can take that from us. Not even the mysterious ice cube bandit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment